Frequently Asked Questions:


What comprises the Del Mar Community?


The Del Mar community was formed in the 1940’s by Orville McCorkle to provide a cost effective (vs. individual wells) way of enabling this area of Fidalgo Island to be developed.  The community is approved for 346 memberships, and currently provides water service to about 300 homes. The community owns and maintains water storage tanks, pumps, and piping throughout the community.
The Del Mar Community area stretches south, outside the Anacortes city line on the west side of Fidalgo Island along Marine Drive and Rosario Road to Seaview. It includes the areas known as Biz Point, Alexander Beach, Sunset Lane, Edith Point, Seaview and a portion of The Pointe. Within the Del Mar service area, there are a number of subdivisions, some of which have created their own Homeowners Associations.

Where do I find the Del Mar Community rules and bylaws?

Click on "Forms/Docs" and then click on "Bylaws, Policies and Rules". You can click on a folder where you can download the Member's Handbook, and Del Mar's Bylaws, Policies and Rules. 

Where do I find the current dues amount, water rates, etc?

Click on "Forms/Docs" and then click on "Dues, Rates, Assessments".

Does Del Mar have CCR's (Covenant, Conditions, and Restrictions)?
Del Mar Community Service, Inc. is a nonprofit corporation that does not have Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions.

Some subdivisions within Del Mar have formed their own Homeowner's Associations with CCR's - these are separate from Del Mar Community Service, Inc. and we do not keep track of them. If you are not sure, you can check with your neighbors to find out if your subdivision has CCR's.

Note that the Del Mar water system issues annual Consumer Confidence Reports - which are also called CCR's.

Is Del Mar registered as a 501c Federal tax exempt organization?
No - Del Mar annually files IRS tax Form 1120 as a nonprofit corporation.

Is there fluoride added to the water?

Yes - our water is provided by the city of Anacortes. Anacortes adds fluoride to the water we receive.  Click on "Forms/Docs" and then click on "Consumer Confidence Reports" for details.

Why is swimming not allowed at Lake Chiquita?

No swimming is allowed in the lake due to unsafe water conditions due to E. Coli bacteria, which causes severe illness, Lyngbya algae, which causes skin rash and irritation, and submerged hazards that can cause severe injuries or drowning. Pets should stay out of the lake for the same reasons.

My water bill just came...How could I have used that much water?

Your water usage is measured and billed quarterly in units of cubic feet. One hundred cubic feet of water equals approx 748 gallons. Usually, higher water usage is caused by running sprinklers, or by water leaks. If your water usage is much higher than usual, you may have a leak in the plumbing on your side of the water meter.

Did you know that:
A leaky toilet can waste over 73,000 gallons of water in a year?
Running yard sprinklers for an hour a day can use over 100,000 gallons over the summer?
Find out water conservation tips at .

How do I find out if I have a water leak?

To check for a water leak: Make sure you don't have any water running and then check your water meter to verify that it is not spinning. If it is spinning (even very slowly), then you have a leak. If you cannot locate your meter, please call the office for assistance at 360-299-2653.

If you want us to send someone out to look at the meter for you, please call the office to schedule. There will be a $30 charge for this service. State law prohibits us from repairing leaks on your side of the meter. Please call a plumber.

I have a water leak, can Del Mar fix it for me?

Under state law, Del Mar is not allowed to perform any work or repairs on the customer's side of the water meter. The homeowner is responsible for maintaining and repairing the pipes and plumbing on their side of the water meter. Please call a licensed plumber to perform the repairs.

Why must I pay for the water used when I have a water leak?

Members are responsible for repairing, as well as paying for water consumption caused by, a water leak on the Member's side of the water meter. Members are obligated to pay for all water passing through their meter in accordance with the established fee schedule. The reason for this is that Del Mar must pay for all the water we purchase from Anacortes. Additionally, Del Mar pays the electric bills and other bills to pump the water through our system. If the member did not pay for the water leaked on their side of the meter, then the entire community would pay for their leak. This would not be fair to the membership.

If you're unsure whether you have a leak, read your water meter before and after a two-hour period when no water is being used. If the meter does not read exactly the same, you probably have a leak. All members should know the location of their water meter and shut-off valve.
If you believe that a water meter reading or billing error has been made, please contact the Del Mar business manager (see phone number on the home page).

How much water could my sprinkler system use?

Many sprinkler systems in this area are designed to use from 10 to 15 gallons per minute when they are operating.  Assuming that you have a typical 6 zone system, and run each zone for 20 minutes a day (2 hours of total use), that would consume between 1,200 and 1,800 gallons of water  per day. 

That could easily add up to 54,000 gallons in one month - just for the sprinklers!  
A great deal of water can be conserved by the use of native landscaping, drip irrigation, and storing rainwater for landscaping use.

Please - if you have an automatic sprinkler sysem: set it to start sometime after midnight, and to shut off by 5:00AM.  By doing this, less water will be wasted to evaporation, and it puts less strain on our water system during the peak demand hours of the day.

How do I register my boat at the Harbor?

A Boat Registration form is sent in February to each member who registered the previous year. If you did not register the prior year, please contact the office to request the registration materials.  

Del Mar does not own or maintain the boat moorages. Installation and maintenance of a moorage is the responsibility of the individual member. Members must register their moorage with the Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR), file all required permits, and pay any fees required by the DNR. Please contact the Harbormaster if you intend to install a moorage, or have any questions. Tie-down tackle is the responsibility of each boat owner.The harbor is near full capacity - there may not be room available for new moorages.
The float is placed in the water in May and removed in October, depending upon weather conditions. Boat Harbor Rules and Regulations and Boat Registration Forms are available for viewing or download on the community website or from our Business Manager.

Someone is causing a disturbance, what can I do?

Del Mar Community Service Inc. is not a Homewowner's Association and is not an enforcement agency.

You will need to direct complaints regarding noise, land use, encroachments, hazards, zoning, disturbances, infractions, speeding, fireworks, etc, to the appropriate Skagit County agency (Skagit County Sheriff, Skagit County Planning & Development Services, Skagit County Commissioners, etc).

Within the Del Mar water service area, some subdivisions have enacted separate Homeowner’s Associations, which specify Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions (CCR’s) for their subdivision. These Homeowner’s Associations are separate from Del Mar Community Service Inc. Del Mar does not keep track of these Homeowner's Associations.  If your subdivision has a Homeowner’s Association, you may wish to contact them directly.

I am selling my home - how should I properly "advertise" the Del Mar recreational facilities?

Please use wording that is factually correct. For example:

It is factually incorrect to state "...boat launch available at Langley Bay". There is no boat launch at Langley Bay.

It is factually incorrect to state "... moorage available at Langley Bay..." since the moorages are located in Washington State waters and are not owned by Del Mar. The moorages are owned by the individuals who filed the required Washington State permits & paid the required fees to Washington State. Instead, you can say something like "... includes seasonal access to the Langley Bay moorage area and day use of the dock facilities".

Additionally, you could include something like "...includes seasonal access and day use at the Alexander Beach area.

Who do I contact regarding website questions?

Click here to send an email to the webmaster.